[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Board Meeting and Standard

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: EJDegen@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:55:20 -0500 (EST)

I listened to the same meeting as Diane and can mirror what she  said.   I
have attended MANY board meetings over many years and have  seen/heard the
same board members be disruptive time and time again.
Board members speak out without being recognized by the president (and yes
his gavel seemed to be calling people back to attention every few
minutes....why  use it if there is no need)

Being at the back of the room you do miss an awful lot of what is going on.
 Where the phone set up was I understand was right in dead center and it
was very  hard listening to committee chairs, board members etc when 4 other
people are  talking on in private conversations and you get them too.  Some
interesting  private conversations by the way.........note of caution board
members.  We  hear it all........

I heard a couple of dogs bark, one conversation on the call before someone
hit mute.   I will suggest in the future that when the constant  contact
gets sent out to members that they be instructed when they log in to hit
their mute button right away.  Some who have never called in don't  understand
to do that and there is no one to give them direction as they  announce
themselves.

On to the standard.........if there was no intent to change it, a committee
 would not have been set up to investigate changing  it.  Committee/intent
go hand in hand.   Glad the membership  has final say, why my email a few
days ago said I hope we still had enough  intelligent people out there to see
this for what it is.

I do agree with Diane that it disappoints me more members do not attend by
call in method. Its your club folks and the more that get the story as it
unfolds, the better.

Was very pleased that while presiding Frank also monitors his email, as
does Lana.  We had a couple of times that things went dead or cut off, and  a
quick email got one of their  attention and Lana ensured it got  fixed.
Thanks much for that.

Molly
Trillia German Shepherds
Member GSDCC, GSDCA, GSDC of Beaumont, life member CKC

In a message dated 1/29/2013 11:20:40 A.M. Central Standard Time,
EJDegen@xxxxxxx writes:
I am not  sure what board meeting Diane called in to listen to, but I had a

completely DIFFERENT experience than she did...and I was actually IN  THE
ROOM for the entire meeting, seeing and hearing what went on,  including
the
Friday night work session.  I flew into Atlanta  to attend the board
meeting
(I am not on the board) and arrived in  the early afternoon on Friday.  I
didn't leave until Sunday  afternoon.

FIRST:  I thought most of the board handled  themselves  professionally and
with a business-like decorum.   There may have been  a couple of board
members that were whispering  to one another, asking for a  clarification
or
something or another,  but it was not disturbing to those  in the meeting
at  all.

SECOND:  At no point was the meeting a "free for all".   Our  president,
Frank Fasano, kept GREAT control of the meeting, and  it was even  "said" a
few
times (not during the meeting but during  breaks), that if anything,  he
was
OVER using his gavel and had "too  much control"!  I don't agree with  that
either, I felt that  Frank's demeanor and professionalism in  running the
meeting was fair  to all.  I've not attended many GSDCA board  meetings,
but I
have been in many other kinds of meetings and Frank is SUPERB at   running
meeting.

THIRD:  The meeting was conducted  following an agenda, and everyone  had a
copy of that agenda.   Frank called on members of the audience (GSDCA
members) when  appropriate, but he followed the agenda to the letter.

FOURTH:   When listening in on a conference call, you can not  POSSIBLY be
getting the feel for the meeting.  ALL MEMBERS OF THE GSDCA ARE   INVITED
ATTEND BOARD MEETINGS IN PERSON.  I was welcomed warmly by  all  board
members. If you want to see how they're run, THEN ATTEND  ONE.

FIFTH:  The microphone picks up whispered conversations, and  there  were
several times that people in the audience had a phone  ring (I'm not aware
of
any time that a Board member had a phone  ring), or were asking questions
of
one another (quietly and trying  not to be disruptive, but the microphone
still  picks it all  up).

SIXTH:  The meeting itself was interrupted with the  EXTREMELY  rude
behavior of several people who were listening in on  the conference  call.
If you
do call in, PLEASE mute your  phone.  We heard people  talking to others at
their home, dogs  barking, etc.  Now THAT was a  "free for all".

SEVENTH:  Keep in mind, these people are VOLUNTEERS. They  ALL  gave up
their weekend (and took vacation days from work, or if  self-employed,
just gave
up work), some gave up extra days as they  had to be there on  Wednesday,
and they ALL lose money attending  these meetings. The food prices are
outrageous and their "daily  stipend of $25" was almost completely blown by

breakfast (I think  the breakfast buffet was about $20, lunch was $25, and
you
couldn't  eat dinner for under $30).  No one is getting rich by serving on
 this
board, and they work VERY VERY hard.

ABOUT THE  STANDARD:  The board IS NOT TRYING TO CHANGE THE  STANDARD.
They
cannot.  A committee was appointed to look in to some   items in the
standard (coats and color) that some members have professed  an  interest
in
researching further.  IF that committee decides  to bring it to  the
membership, the
ENTIRE GSDCA MEMBERSHIP WILL VOTE  ON ANY CHANGES IN THE  STANDARD.  If YOU
don't want any changes  made in the standard, vote against  it!  Every
member
of the  GSDCA, on the board or not, will be allowed  to vote.  If you are
not a member of the GSDCA, then JOIN IT if you  want to vote.   If you are
not
a member of the GSDCA and you don't CARE  about the  standard, then don't
join.  You can only affect change by being  a  member.

Julie Degen

In a message dated  1/28/2013 5:06:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Msg: #3  in digest
From:  Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:42:29 -0500   (EST)
Subject: re the standard is a moving target

I am replying  to  Zoe’s post, (below), because it was succinct.  Also,

Zoe
was  one of a handful of BOD members who handled herself  professionally
and

with business-like decorum.  (Before  anyone asks, yes, I did call in  and
listen to the BOD meeting  Saturday … even waited when the  conference
call line
went down  for a little while.)  It was quite an  interesting meeting and
really wish that more members had “tuned  in.”
Basically, many portions  of the meeting were a total   free-for-all.
There
was no discernable order  and everyone  was  talking over everyone else,
regardless of who had the floor;  it  was  almost embarrassing to listen.

The discussion of the  proposal for a  change in the GSD Standard is summed

up well in  Zoe’s post.   It’s the last line, “Remember
that many
of  these
changes are  being done to be more inclusive, to get more  people involved
and
for   economic improvement of  clubs’” that really concerns me and
that
line
is a  good  summation of the BOD’s intent.

At what cost TO  THE  BREED are we supposed to allow the bastardization of
our   standard?

<cut>

JMO, flame away,  folks,
Diane

 is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.