[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat/Torsion DNA MARKER..LONG

  • From: Rikers123@xxxxxxx
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, ruready8336@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 04:54:24 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2007 9:54:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx writes:
Now for the opportunity. Mr. Hunt says in is interested in the good of
>  the breed and I am guessing that he has access to more dogs than I do.  I
> think it would be a great gesture if he would collect and send  samples into
> Dr. Pletcher.  What say the rest of you.
>  >
> >   We are going to need the infomation on Dr  Pletcher posted to the list
so
> we don't have to go hunting for it. Mr.  Hunte needs an email inviting him
> participate and the info as to  where to send the pedigrees and blood
> samples.  The more time he  spends in the field visting the breeders he buys
> from the more  education he can administer.  I am sure he would love to help
> us  out.

Why are we involving Hunte in this ? This information was posted to  iternet
lists a few weeks ago and it does not involve Hunte:

!!!ATTENTION  BREEDERS!!!
DNA MARKER HAS BEEN DISCOVERED FOR  BLOAT/TORSION
While  that day has not come yet, the owners of German Shepherd dogs have the
rare  opportunity to help make this dream come true.

In the February 2007 issue  of the REVIEW, an article appeared written by Dr
Mathew T. Pletcher of The  Scripps Research Institute.  Dr. Pletcher is
conducting a research project  on the behavioral genetics in herding dogs.
While
watching our dogs in the  pen with sheep, havenâ??t most of us asked ourselves
â??
how do they know how to do  that?â??  How does that instinct survive
generations
without practice?   Fascinating subject.

In addition, Dr. Pletcher has agreed to add a  component to his research.  He
has agreed to look for a DNA marker for  bloat/orsion.  In GERMAN SHEPHERDS!
 What does this mean for our  dogs?  The rare opportunity to find a DNA
marker specific to our  breed.  A marker will allow breeders to breed away from
this disease,  eventually eradicating it all together.

How do you participate?  If  you have a dog that has survived bloat/torsion
or has had a relative (dead or  alive) bloat/torsion contact Dr Pletcher or his
assistant Laura Schultz.   Have a 5 generation pedigree available to send
with the blood sample and medical  history on your dog and their relatives, as
much as you know.  Then make an  appointment with your Vet for a blood draw.

The  Scripps Research Institute does not charge for your participation.
Please  also note that all information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.  The names
of dogs  or owners are not released to anyone.

Information for your Vet:
5ml  blood in an EDTA tube marked with the Dogâ??s name, AKC #, Breed, sex.
If the dog has been sick (even if healthy now) please include any diagnostic
tests.
Send  samples to:
Dr. Mathew T Pletcher
The Scripps Research Institute â??  Florida
Building RF-1 Room 110
5353 Parkside Drive
Jupiter, FL  33458

Please let them know samples are on their  way.
pletcher@xxxxxxxxxxx  or Laura Schultz laura@xxxxxxxxxxx
If  you would like further information contact GSDCA Health & Genetics
committee  members:                                                 Barbara
Williams
  santandagsd1954@xxxxxx
Dee Lauffer   dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx

Denise  Groenewald
President German Shepherd Dog Club of North Georgia
SE Regional  Representative for the GSDCA
Responsible Animal Legislation Education Effort  Federation
_www.greenwoodshepherds.com_ (http://www.greenwoodshepherds.com/)