[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat question....Canine Health... new viewpoint

  • From: gsd0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:29:35 -0400

According to Dr's Foster and Smith, Giardia can cause both bloat and toxic
gut.... If your dog is older he/she could have Giardia and exhibit NO symptoms
(ie. loose greasy stools... loss of appetite...loss of condition ect.). But you
also need to test three days in a row to be sure that a dog who tests negative
is truly negative because in it's cystic form phase it is undetectable in a
stool sample.....
Over the years I have had several dogs bloat/torsion.... it was ALWAYS
proceeded by a general loss of condition.... nothing you could put your finger
on.... just a slightly dull coat... loss of weight/appetite ect....? I have
always believed that bloat COULD be caused by bacteria, viruses, and?single
cell organisms but this is the first time I have ever found any written
evidence to support my theory. By the way... I DO NOT believe that this is the
ONLY cause of bloat/torsion or Toxic Gut... I just feel it is a contributing
factor.? I also believe that heredity, conformation, and many other factors
contribute to different dogs bloating but this is something that is very easy
to eliminate as a contributing factor.

Newest recommended treatment is: Albendazole (Valbazen)? 11.5 mg/per lb of body
weight twice daily for 5 days.... at the end of treatment the dogs run should
be disinfected with bleach and allowed to dry for 24 hours.... when the dog is
placed back in his environment he should be treated with another 5 days of the
same treatment.... It works out to 1 ml per 9.6 lbs of body weight 2x a day...
Another side benefit is that your dog will NOT be wormy at the end of
treatment... LOL? (Not to be used in pregnant bitches)

Gary Lewis
Garter German Shepherd Dogs
Home of:
RBIM Lisa of Fran-Jo Anne Isle ROM