[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat and Torsion .....again...

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:59:37 EST

In a message dated 11/23/05 4:41:21 PM Central Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:41:20 -0800
> From: Carolyn Putnam <kleinkauf2@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Bloat and Torsion......again...
>
> Age doesn't always have anything to do with it. Horses will "get cast"
> in their stalls or in a small paddock and in the fight to get out of the
> situation, they will torsion. Digestion of their food doesn't always
> have much to do with it, or stress as it can happen to a horse that is
> pasturized all the time. No one has traced a genectic proficiency for it
> that I know - much less through the different breeds of horses.
> Carolyn Putnam

I still own my "first born" from my dabble in Arabian horse breeding in the
80's, Shara, (registered as Asaalah Bishaarah) was born April 14, 1981.  She is
as close to bomb proof as any horse will ever be. She won mini-events against
Thoroughbreds and Warmbloods despite the fact that she is old-Egyptian lines
and 14.3 in her tippy toes.  She has always been a good eater, barely gets a
handful of grain because her genes are telling her she is in the desert and
much save every bit of food for the trip across the desert.  She was born on my
property but when I was transferred to San Francisco in 1987 I started boarding
her in top quality barns with an emphasis on hunter/jumper, dressage, fox
hunting.  I only boarded in barns with daily turnout except in extremes of
weather and nights in her stall.  She was wonderfully healthy.  I was
transferred to
Chicago in 1989 and several months later after I found the right place she
was vanned in.  She did well at the first barn where she was boarded except for
several hoof abscesses.  After two or three years I discovered that the owner
was spreading the manure in the turnout paddocks.  I moved her and She did
well at the new barn except she had several instances of colic, including one
which required her to be taken by horse ambulance to a veterinary hospital for
possible surgery.  She managed to stabilize before the surgery.  It was an
ongoing problem, literally happening every 3 or 4 months and this went on for 4
years when she was ages 13-17.  The vet had no idea why this was happening.

My next move was back to the Kansas City area and a change in barn for Shara
of course.  I have been back for 7 years and (knocking on wood) she has not
had even one instance of colic and she is now 24 years old, "works" three times
a week as a therapy horse for disabled children.  It isn't very strenuous, but
enough exercise to keep her fit.

Obviously there was something about the second barn in the Chicago area, but
I don't know what.  The hay was high quality, she only received about a cup of
a good grain mixture, she was out all day, every day except when the weather
was at an extreme.  The barn had about the same number of boarders as prior
barns.  It was a serious show barn as had been the other barns.  Her turnout
buddies were buddies, no picking on the "little horse" by the off-the-track
race
horses or Warmbloods.  Don't know what the answer was, just glad it stopped.

Betty Johnson
Tintagel
www.Tintagelgsckcs.com
Updated 11/22/05