[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Blanche Beisswenger Memorial Hero Dog Award retirement-long

  • From: Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx>
  • To: <kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>, "VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx" <vprezhmf@xxxxxxx>, GSD list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:18:26 +0000

I find it sad also, Diane.

I guess I made the only service dog nomination last year.

Dakota, who gave his life in the line of duty....the response from the local

community was heart warming.  Hundreds attended a memorial for him.

A local sculptor sculpted a statue of him that stands in the lobby of the

main station in Vancouver.  And, one year later, a dog park was dedicated in

his memory.  I find it very sad, in deed, that a community can love its hero

but the GSD fancy can't take time to appreciate those around them.  I know there

were two service dogs in Oregon (around the same time as Dakota) ...one that

died and another that was retired because he was so badly beaten during a

capture that he would never be able to work again.  These are just three that

I knew of.....certainly there were more.  We love to brag about our strong,
versatile

breed......You're Diane, certainly a time for serious introspection.

I appreciate your efforts, Helen.

Kay

 -Kay Reamensnyder and Betty Doerpinghaus
 -Home of Bedkar German Shepherds
 -bedkar@xxxxx
 -Visit our Website:  www.bedkargsd.com