[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ~~Black bred to a Black question

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <VSabiaB@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:38:23 -0800

I don't think there is ANY way to figure out the "percentage"  of color you
will get in each
breeding.    Black is recessive......but if a black is bred to a black and tan
that DOES carry
the black factor you never know how many blacks you will get........or even if
you will get ANY.
OR......you could get a high percentage of blacks.    One never knows.
We have bred a black and tan stud who carried the black factor for sure....to a
solid
black bitch and have gotten no blacks.
We have bred two black and tans that both carry the black recessive  (
obviously )  and 50%
of the litter was blacks.    Breeding black to black is the only sure way to
know.
If you breed a black to a black and tan or sable that does NOT carry the black
recessive you
will not "risk"  getting blacks in that breeding.....but you will deepen and
enrich  pigment.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: VSabiaB@xxxxxxx