[ SHOWGSD-L ] Biteing Puppies

  • From: "Catherine Murch" <fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:50:05 -0400

Hi;

When I first became involved in the sport of dogs I trained with Diane Bauman,
who has written books on OB training, conducted
seminars, classes etc. and put OB titles including OTCH's on breeds no other
would even try.

Diane taught me to use when very young two fingers under the jaw if a puppy was
biting or mouthing. It caught them by surprise,
and as soon as they stopped you praised. They usually stopped immediately due
to the element of surprise. Every time a puppy
went to bit I did this, after a few times that got the message and stopped. If
it a large dog, us use a closed fist under the jaw. Again
it's the element of surprise and if you praise immediately and smile they
really do not  think you did it, because they never saw
your hand, only you smiling and praising. It has worked very well for me over
the years. Another one I love is from Carol
Benjamin's book "Mother Knows Best", you correct the pup by placing your mouth
over his snoot just like his Mom would.

I have done this in the confirmation ring with a miss behavin dog, it looks
like he is getting a kiss instead of a correction.

Cathy
Kelstar

Catherine Murch
fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx