[ SHOWGSD-L ] Birth Defects Study

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 06:56:15 -0800 (PST)

UC Davis Online Birth Defect Study

Nili Karmi (DVM/PhD student), Dr. Noa Safra, Dr. Danika Bannasch
Researchers in the Bannasch Laboratory at the School of Veterinary Medicine,
University of California-Davis are initiating a long term study on canine birth
defects (CBD). The birth defects that we are currently targeting are cleft
palate, umbilical hernia (requiring surgical correction) and cryptorchidism. As
one part of the study, we are interested in determining if puppies are
predisposed to birth defects when bitches are exposed to certain environmental
factors. In addition, we will also determine genetic causes of these specific
birth defects. In order to address these two issues, we need information about
the bitchesâ?? gestational environment as well as DNA samples from affected and
unaffected puppies.
We are asking breeders to use the following link to fill out an online survey
about litters born in the last year. In order to fill out this survey, the
breeder will need to have the litter registration information and the ability
to print. If breeders are willing to send DNA samples, contact information is
available at the end of the survey.
All information obtained is completely confidential.
Click Here to take the Birth Defect survey

Morgan Lewis
GSDCA Health and Genetics Committee