[ SHOWGSD-L ] Bill URL...ooopsRe: CA - an end run bill, with outrageous statistics, AB 610

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:17:55 -0700

forgot the url... sorry.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0601-0650/ab_610_bill_20110822_amended_sen_v96.html

storm
On Aug 23, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Stormy Hope wrote:

This morning as I was making my usual updates of CA bills, a bill that
I had been watching but not in my updates (SB 610) popped up with an
amendment.  A gut and amend amendment is one that takes all content
out and starts over.  This didn't do that.  It simply changed the
whole focus of the bill and added some totally erroneous information.

This bill was to reduce the amount of pre-requested special license
plates from the normal 7500 (I think) to 2500.  Since a bill was
passed in the previous years for funds to go to public animal shelters
for spay/neuter vouchers and operations, and it did not receive enough
pre-sold license plates, I thought this bill needed watching.

And this morning the amendment came.  It changed the focus of the bill
for reduction of pre-sold plates to adding more causes for the license
plate money (covering the vague "adoptions" to the spay/ neuter term
previously used.

But worse than that, hysterically exaggerated claims were thrown in
the bill, which if became law, would set precedents in other laws.  To
wit:

"SECTION 1.    The Legislature finds and declares all
of the following:  "
then:
  " (c) In six years one unspayed female dog and her offspring can
reproduce 67,000 dogs. On average it costs approximately one hundred
dollars ($100) to capture, house, feed, and eventually kill a
homeless animal-a cost that ultimately comes out of the taxpayers'
pockets. Low-cost spaying and neutering services are far below that
amount. Thus, the cost of having a pregnant female dog can be much
higher than the cost of spaying.
   (d) Each day, seven dogs and cats are born for each person born in
the United States. Of those, only one in five puppies and kittens
stay in their original homes for their natural lifetime. The
remaining four are abandoned to the streets or end up at a shelter.
As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes
for all of the animals."

I alerted all of the lists and started writing letters.  The bill had
gone under the radar of most as it didn't mention animals or dogs/cats.
AVMA and the CA Dept. of Health has been called and asked to verify
(or reject) the stats.
I haven't had a chance today to look up the Committee hearing this
bill, but will post the contacts tonight or tomorrow.
The following is a great expose of those statistics.
"Where are the 3 trillion dogs and Cats?"
By Donna Malone, as on the RAOT website
© Responsible Animal Owners of Tennessee and Donna Malone, 2010
Click Here
You'll have to email me for the .pdf or go to:
http://carpoc.org/education.html and scroll down to the document.