[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Best bed for old dogs

  • From: <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <dlholliday@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:44:56 -0400

Hey there Diane,
I noticed at Costco here in Tucson that they had some real nice (Big and fairly
thick 3-4") doggie beds for 18bucks. They are made of nice fabric (not fleece).

Worth checking out if you have a costco card!

IF you do not have a costco care and are coming to Tucson for our match this
Saturday I'd be more than willing to take you to our Costco and so you could
check'em out!

Rick Haase
www.gsdcsaz.org <==Match info.

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: diane holliday <dlholliday@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Best bed for old dogs?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:43:17 -0700

I am surprised that we have so many people with old dogs in the
house. Perhaps one of you can point me in the right direction
concerning buying a dog bed.

My 11 year old Blackjack no longer likes to jump on my bed at night.
In a way, this is probably good, as I have lots more room without
him. He lays right beside the bed on the carpeted floor, so that if I
get up during the night, he will know. But he is old, and I am sure
that even the carpeted bedroom floor is not the best for his old
body. I have purchased numerous dog beds, but he does not like any of
them.

He seems to hate anything with cedar. He doesn't like anything that
makes him feel unsteady, like the Orvis dog nests. Fleecy pads seem
to be too hot (I live in Arizona) in his opinion. I tried a crib
mattress, but he is too heavy for it.

I considered the elevated beds on PVC pipe, but if it tips, he will
be wary of it.

If I put a blanket or quilt on the floor, he ignores it.

Any suggestions? Beds in his size are quite pricey, and I already
have four beds he chooses not to use.

Diane Holliday
Scottsdale, AZ