[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Believing everything you read/hear

  • From: "paulette mcguirt" <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:42:13 -0500

In a message sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 7:53 PM EST
"Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I personally think Jackie's question(s) were fine.  I do not and did
not
think there was a mean spirited demeanor meant.
Some people wanted the name and whatever...but there were some who
really
wanted to discuss judges understanding of their breed assignments
and how
they decide to with hold a ribbon.
I would like to be involved in the list when you can learn and share
and not
be afraid of being criticized or maligned.
From the responses I've read to Jackie's post, I haven't gathered
that
anyone has a problem with Jackie's question or feels that Jackie was
being
mean spirited in the asking.  However, I feel the subject should
have been
introduced in a different manner.  If  the object of Jackie's post
was to
start a discussion thread on one of the more political/controversial
aspects
of judging, wouldn't it have been better to simply ask something
like, "I've
heard through the show ring "rumor-net" that judges won't withhold
ribbons from inferior dogs for fear of losing assignments. What's
your take?"

As the old adage goes, "Sometimes you can't see the forest for the
trees."  Well, I think the "trees" were the details included in
Jackie's post.  The details of what the judge said, where it was
said, and to whom it was said, weren't needed to initiate a
discussion on the topic of judges withholding ribbons.  Especially
when these details amounted to nothing more than hearsay.  Plus,
while Jackie's question in and of itself wasn't inflammatory, the
judge's supposed comments were quite inflammatory, given this venue.
A lot of Listers get very tired of people, unfamilar with American
show lines, asking if their angulated and Perfectly Sound dog is
crippled by dysplasia.  I know I do.  This is a sensitive subject
with the owners, breeders, and exhibitors of American GSDs, so why
"muddy the waters?"

Paulette McGuirt

PS  Peggy, you go girl!