[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bathing question

  • From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 18:36:59 -0400

Patti,

DO NOT reward bad behavior with treats.  When I've had a dog who
didn't like a bath, I just proceeded with the bath.  No yelling, no
complaints, just the bath.  As far as not liking the sprayer or dryer,
it could be the noise.  I'll tell you a secret:  When Forest was
younger and I bought her from Emily, she told me that Forest HATED IT
when The Star Spangled Banner played at every dog show.  (How
unpatriotic, Pup-Pup!!)  She would jump on Emily, act upset,
snap,etc.  Well, when I bought her, I just ignored the bad behavior
and she stopped doing it.  Now we call it "her favorite song."
Seriously, some dogs are touch-sensitive and noise-sensitive.  Ignore
it, don't get upset and the dog will discover there's nothing to fear.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog
Hopefully someone can offer a suggestion. My 8 month old boy is
Terrified of a
bath. We have had him since he was 3 months old and he literally
"freaks out"
when you try to bathe him. He is climbing out of the tub, trying to
climb the
walls, etc. He mostly hates when you turn the sprayer on to rinse him.
It takes
2 people to give him a bath. I have never had a dog that acted like
this in the
tub before. We have tried giving him cookies, treats, just letting him
stand in
the tub without turning on the water..He also hates the dryer just as
much. I
don't know what to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Now he will
lay on the floor and let you use the dremel on his nails without an
issue.  Go
figure! HELP, He has his 1st dog shows this weekend!
Patti