[ SHOWGSD-L ] Barks

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:38:23 -0500

Do you know the difference in your dog's barks?? I mention this because the
last week or so, my dogs have had bark attacks in the middle of the night.? The
first time, I woke up and did a perimeter check.? Lots of feral cats recently.?
Then I realized it was one or two dogs and the others in the house didn't
care.? So, I figured no big deal and didn't bother anymore.? That was until
last night.? Then I heard a different frequency in the barks.? They were high
pitched and frantic and even the other dogs got restless.? Well, I got up and
went outside to see if this was more important than a cat or a squirrel.? This
was midnight and it was.? There is a home for mentally disabled people across
the street.? One of the residents had a melt down and was trying to escape.? He
got stuck on the fence and was crying.? He wasn't loud or vocal.? He was in
distress.? The dogs alerted and when I went outside, I found him caught on the
gate.? I couldn't?open the gate and finally got him over
 .? I brought hom into my yard.? He was in a state and?I went inside to find
the number of the caretaker.? I let Charm out and she stayed with him.? This is
a new facility and the dogs don't know any of these people.? Yet, they knew
someone was in trouble.? I am very proud of them.? It was annoying and I
thought it was another false alarm.? But, I am glad?I knew the difference in
the barks and didn't ignore them this time.? The man went home safely and now
has a new friend in Charm :-)

Laura?