[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:35:35 -0700 (PDT)

I train mine by consistantly correctly them as puppies with the word "hey" and
pointing a finger at the guilty party.  Initially you might have to make
physical contact (grabbing the scruff) and even set them up to bark by having
another dog come on their property or having a friend walk by........but now
all I have to do is stick my head out the door and say "hey" and they shut up.
One bark...gets me up out of the chair....by the time they bark a second
time...I'm there to correct it.

  I also make sure I don't reward barking by letting the dog out of the kennel
or into the house or feed it when it barks as a way to communicate it's
desires.   By the time they are adults they feel no real need to bark unless of
course they have a very good reason.

  I just got a 6 month old puppy back because a child of the owner became
allergic too it.  That puppy is a horrible barking and it's pretty obvious to
me that they made no attempt to correct her when she barked.  I have had her
since Tuesday of last week...and in just five days i've got her so that she no
longer barks just to hear the sound of her lovely voice.

  Cindy

DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/5/2006 6:59:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
My dogs are trained not to bark...period.

Hey.... How do you train them not to bark... Period...

Mine are not particularly noisy but they hear stuff going on, see a rabbit,
squirrel etc. ... and they bark. Somebody walking down the street. I start
bringing them in to go to bed and they bark until it is there turn.....

Just curious....

Deb

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original