[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rockannand@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:11:46 EDT

In a message dated 8/6/2006 3:05:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rockannand@xxxxxxx writes:
If one  has a barking problem with gsds, then
the dog is being left alone too  much.   If one can't be home enough to train
the dog to "be  quiet" then they shouldn't have this breed.  I know this
sounds tough,  but that's just what I believe.

Where I live, we have noise  restrictions in the evening.  All dogs must be
brought into the  house.  And, since I do not believe in housing a dog in a
dog kennel  all night long away from the family, I have many well trained,
respectful  dogs sleeping around my bed at night.   In fact, they are  not
allowed to growl, scratch, chew, pant (if they do this, then there  is
something wrong with them), steal, pee or  poop.

Well said, (sounds like my house in fact, lol), but sure to start a
Donny-brook.  I have never felt GSDs do "well" kenneled.  An  intelligent,
active dog
that is bored silly will find some way to use up their  energy and quite a few
will carry on.  Now, when you bring this up, you're  sure to get the "I'll
have as many dogs as I please" response w/ a bunch of  poems about a trapper to
follow.  I'm not talking now about restricting  ownership; I'm referring to
what is best for the dog.   Dogs aren't  cattle and do don't well warehoused...
period. Kennel a dog who wants to be  underfoot with his family and the rest
of their perceived pack and you are  setting up a situation for all sorts of
undesirable behavior.

When dogs are alone and/or kenneled and carrying on (a bitch in season,  dogs
on a co-ownership perhaps who aren't permanent "pack" members), I'm firmly
in the camp that you do whatever it takes to stop the barking.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_