[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Kris Kudel <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 17:55:48 -0500 (CDT)

=====================
From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2006/08/05 Sat PM 03:54:17 CDT
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

Most vets I know will not debark dogs but for the same reason that they don't
declaw cats.  They say it's unnatural and unnecessary.  I for one am not
opposed to it for many breeds but I just think there is something wrong with
debarking GSD's. I guess to me it's like removing the dogs dignity.  My dogs
are trained not to bark...period.  That's the one nice thing about GSD's...they
can be trained not too, because unlike breeds such as say Collies who bark as
they work...shepherds are not notorious vocalizers.

  One thing about debarking that anyone thinking about it should
know.....debarking does not eliminate all sound and in fact the sound the dog
is left with can be more annoying then the original bark.  Also, over time, the
barking will become louder and louder, I'm not sure why that is, but it's
almost like the dogs learn to bark a different way.

  For the record, this is not a criticisim of those that do debark but I have
to say I'm amazed at all the people that admit that they debark their GSD's.
For some reason I always thought it was frowned upon in this breed.

  Cindy

  Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Something that no one has mentioned as a consideration to de-bark or not:
Any surgery can be dangerous. My vet refuses to de-bark dogs because
he has seen & heard about some serious complications. I have a friend
that breeds/shows Norwegian Elkhounds. Some years ago, one of her
males won BOB at their National. Elkies can bark a lot and the sound is
very penetrating. Just a few months after he won his National, she had him
debarked, he seemed ok afterwards when she brought him home. He died
overnight - bled to death.
I am not against (though I would not do so myself), debarking, but I think this
attitude that it is perfectly safe should be examined.

as always, JMO

Sandy

See, that is all I was trying to say. There are pro's and con's to everything,
maybe I'm just lucky because my 3 don't bark really, unless provoked or
"protecting" us or the house.  I know people that have their pets "under" to
have their teeth cleaned. Sorry, but I take no uncessary risks.  Not that these
people that do are wrong... again it's just something I don't believe in. I've
heard of amd seen for my own eyes many "routine" things go wrong.  Nothing is
routine...why do you sign so many different "waivers".

again JMO and just my thoughts I never meant to start an arguement or anything
like that.  Just that the owners of Riley should know all possibilities before
jumping into one.

Kris Kudel
Kamelot
Shepherds      UPDATED http://mysite.verizon.net/krisbob1/