[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 16:03:15 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2006 12:16:25 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
Elsyd1@xxxxxxx writes:
Not  according to my best reference...my dogs. They walk out of the  vet's
office lively and happy to see me, eat like horses that night, play,  and
*bark*
as usual,. They also confided that they hated my constant  yelling, and
occasional hose spraying. They said life is so much  better than it was, and
that
they are not in pain.  Syd

SYD  MAILBERG
_WWW.KINGSWOODGERMANSHEPHERDS.HOMESTEAD.COM_
(http://www.kingswoodgermanshepherds.homestead.com/)
COMMISSION   PORTRAITURE

-----------------

That's been my experience, too.  The only reason I crate them and give  them
a sedative for a couple of days is because of doctor's orders to keep  them
from barking until the incision heals.  The dogs see no reason at all  to keep
quiet - they feel fine!     Compared to what so many do  to "train" a dog to
keep
quiet (screaming out windows at them, spraying them with cold water in  the
middle of the night, throwing cans of rocks at them, electric shock
collars,etc)
debarking is a much kinder and gentler solution for a dog that enjoys
sounding
off.

Any surgery has some risk - I had one dog that aspirated some  moisture
during the surgery.  I knew immediately there was a problem  because he
didn't feel well that evening - I knew from experience that wasn't normal.
We treated him with antibiotics and he recovered.  The same can  happen
with any procedure using anesthesia - a coworker had just lost a dog
a couple of weeks before that had been in for a routine teeth  cleaning
and died from aspirational pnuemonia less than 24 hours later.

The most important advice I have, is to use only a vet who is  experienced
and skilled in the procedure.  Most complications I've heard of  others
having, involved vets who rarely did debarkings and cut too  much.  Anyone
considering it should ask for recommendations from their local kennel
clubs - usually sheltie or collie people can tell you who to go to.

Janice