[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Kate Syssoloff <rockannand@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:18:45 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

To lose that beautiful deep bark that our dogs have, to something that
sounds more like a trained seal, makes me cringe.  We hear it at dog shows
often and I can't stand it.  If one has a barking problem with gsds, then
the dog is being left alone too much.   If one can't be home enough to train
the dog to "be quiet" then they shouldn't have this breed.  I know this
sounds tough, but that's just what I believe.

Where I live, we have noise restrictions in the evening.  All dogs must be
brought into the house.  And, since I do not believe in housing a dog in a
dog kennel all night long away from the family, I have many well trained,
respectful dogs sleeping around my bed at night.   In fact, they are not
allowed to growl, scratch, chew, pant (if they do this, then there is
something wrong with them), steal, pee or poop.  They are allowed to bark to
their heart's content for about 3 minutes when someone comes to the door.  I
ll give them that and then I want quiet.  I do let them kennel run for a few
laps, but I want quiet when I tell them to be............   I want my dogs
to bark.  How many times I've taken calls from people who ask me if my dogs
bark..........  I've found that a strange question, but their complaint was
that their gsd didn't bark (poor temperament, I guess).

Kate