[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Regatta <zilla@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:54:52 -0500

At 06:16 AM 8/5/06 -0500, Kris Kudel wrote:
>Honestly, I don't think it's that black and white. I would find a happy
>medium, a place I could afford that also accepts pets.
>Kris Kudel
>Kamelot
>Shepherds

It is often VERY black and white for some people.  I did therapy visits for
two years in a senior's residence, which also included an extended care
wing.  For many of these people, there is no other choice but for them to
make compromises in their lives as they grow older, and sometimes that
means giving up their pets or having them debarked.  Some don't have family
support, a lot of them need assisted living or residences and many don't
have any income other than their small government pensions, so finding a
place they can afford which will allow them their pets and the care they
might need is often out of the question.  When one sits for hours every
week while people cling to your dog and tell you their heartbreaking
stories about having to give up their beloved pets because of housing
issues, it's a shame and very disturbing.

I also train my own dogs to not bark for their own fun, however I only have
2 dogs and that's not terribly difficult.  If it meant keeping my dogs or
trying to find a new home which I probably could not afford, I would have
them silenced and still have them to love.

JMO
Jill
Canada