[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:30:36 -0500

Something that no one has mentioned as a consideration to de-bark or not:
Any surgery can be dangerous.   My vet refuses to de-bark dogs because
he has seen & heard about some serious complications.   I have a friend
that breeds/shows Norwegian Elkhounds.   Some years ago, one of her
males won BOB at their National.   Elkies can bark a lot and the sound is
very penetrating.   Just a few months after he won his National, she had him
debarked, he seemed ok afterwards when she brought him home.   He died
overnight - bled to death.

I am not against (though I would not do so myself), debarking, but I think this
attitude that it is perfectly safe should be examined.

as always, JMO

Sandy

At 08:15 AM 8/5/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Unfortunately, it is that black and white in many cases. Especially when it
>comes to assisted living places.
>
>I have dealt with many cases where it has been debark the dog or "get rid"
>of it.  Moving is not always an option either.
>
>De-barking is a relatively safe (there is always a risk with anesthesia)
>procedure that does NOT traumatize the dog.  It is a huge myth to suggest
>dogs are emotionally disturbed by debarking. Debarked dogs can bark. Even if
>reduced sound comes out of their mouths, they don't seem to notice at all!
>Debarked dogs that are not being constantly disciplined for barking, in
>fact, tend to be much happier dogs!
>
>Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
>Proud member GSDCA and Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
>www.rihadin.com

Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rkozub/kennel.htm