[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 08:15:42 -0400

Unfortunately, it is that black and white in many cases. Especially when it
comes to assisted living places.

I have dealt with many cases where it has been debark the dog or "get rid"
of it.  Moving is not always an option either.

De-barking is a relatively safe (there is always a risk with anesthesia)
procedure that does NOT traumatize the dog.  It is a huge myth to suggest
dogs are emotionally disturbed by debarking. Debarked dogs can bark. Even if
reduced sound comes out of their mouths, they don't seem to notice at all!
Debarked dogs that are not being constantly disciplined for barking, in
fact, tend to be much happier dogs!

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
Proud member GSDCA and Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
www.rihadin.com