[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Barking????

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 23:54:03 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/2006 9:25:49 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

One more thing - what the heck is a voice box? Dogs - and people - have
vocal cords, and I have had several vets tell me the debarking surgery is no
more
painful than having your tonsils out.

----------------------

Actually, dog's don't have a 'voice box'.  Debarking is done by  clipping a
single, thin flap of skin - much less complex than having your tonsils  out,
and definitely MUCH  less painful and traumatic than a  spay/neuter.   Some
of my dogs are debarked and they were more upset about missing  breakfast
than from the surgery.    OTH, when I've had dogs  spayed or neutered, they
were in obvious pain and discomfort for days.  Dogs also  don't depend on
barking
to communicate - posture, stance, scent, etc, are how they get  their
message across to each other.

Everyone's circumstance is different - if you are able to keep your  dogs
quiet or live where no one is bothered by the barking, that's  great.  But if
it's a choice between debarking or risking having your dogs seized  and/or
euthanised, then debarking is a way to keep your dogs safe and with
the family they love.

BTW - I can still hear my own dogs, but they don't bother the  neighbors.
They have warned me of intruders and have chased them away.   I  guess
the intruders were more worried about the teeth than a little  noise!

Janice

From: Gsdbroon@xxxxxxxxxxx: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 23:23:18 -0400Subject:  Re: [
SHOWGSD-L ] Barking????To: cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx

In a  message dated 8/4/2006 8:15:28 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
So, for me, if it were a choice of  living without my dogs or debarking them,
rest assured, I will debark them  before I have to live without them.

This is what my friends have donel  They love the dogs...and would not have
given then up. E have visited them and  I agree with Cyndy......they bark like
they always did....but they do not  disturb the neighbors.

viv