[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ballots and Noses

  • From: "Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 08:02:13 -0700

This website says this so might be why Hoobin's Gray Boy got his Championship.
I know this is
one of the reasons the GSD Breed Standard was changed.

Blue (dd) dogs have noses ranging from light grey to almost black. It is
genetically impossible for a blue dog to have a brown nose. Note, however, that
sometimes grey dogs can occur that don't have the blue dilution gene. So an
apparently "blue" dog may have a "Black nose and Dark eyes", because in fact it
is a black dog with the greying gene rather than a proper blue dilute.
Sometimes blues can also be very dark, so that their coat and nose appear
almost black. It can be very difficult to tell whether such dogs are blacks or
blues.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/noses.html

Theresa
GSDCA Member
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 8/26/14, Sheree Moses <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Ballots and Noses

 It is a question of a contradiction in our standard regarding
 dilutes and nose color
Our standard describes blues/livers as a serious fault, yet says
 that a nose not predominately black is a DQ.This makes us
 look like dummies who really don't understand color
 inheritance in dogs.  (Okay, maybe we
 don't)   Blue dogs have gray noses, liver dogs have brown noses (or, dilutes
have
 self-colored noses, if you want to be technical).  So,
 should our standard change have proposed that we make
 blues/livers a DQ?  Or that a nose not predominately
 black be a serious fault?  We should do one or the
 other, and I guess the powers that be decided we didn't need
 another DQ.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html