[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Background checks for parent club officers?

  • From: hadderway@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, <cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:45:05 +0000

I too have been in HR for over 20 years and have done my share of background
checks.  As I am sure my fellow HR listers as well as any employment law
attorneys know, one of the biggest risks in doing background is establishing
who has a "need to know" once the information is received.  In a coroporation
this is easy... HR or your in house Counsel. You also need to have a well
established "business need" in order to conduct such checks.... general
curiosity or moral outrage does not suffice.  I think that there is a greater
risk in having the information and letting rumor and inuendo run wild vs. not
having it at all.
In addition, you need to establish which positions should be checked and what
types of information would prove to be disqualifying.  For instance, if someone
was convicted of felony drunk driving does that rule them out as a board
member?  Felony assault?  Bouncing checks?  There has also been a suggestion
that the financial background (ie how much money they have) should also come
into play.  I have one response to this... ENRON.  Remember... we show dogs, we
aren't suppose to have money!

If there are allegations of wrong doing, then those who have knowledge and
facts should come forward.  I am sure that our accounting firm would be VERY
interested in any proof that someone might have about financial wrong doing.
Remember... they audit us and to the best of my knowledge have not discovered
any wrong doing.

If, on the other hand, members do not like the way in which the board is
spending our money...... then tell them.  They are reasonable people wanting to
do their best for you and I in VOLUNTEER positions.  Background checks will not
make them spend money in the way that you feel is best.

I agree with DD and others.  I think that this is a bad idea absent any PROOF
of wrong doing.

Kelly Knight