[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Background checks for parent club officers?

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cyndy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:06:54 -0400

Cyndy, I know you meant it constructively.  It is conceptually very different
for those who live with background checks and investigations as a regular thing
- you just don't think about it the same way as if you have not been through
it.  I have been through it so many times that it is no big deal, and my life
is an open book anyway - but I can understand that it might put people off who
have not had to do it before, and so might cause people to decide not to seek
Club office.

When I set out to get admitted to the Florida Bar, they had (still have) a
Character and Fitness Exam that is harder to pass than Security Clearance for
the State Department (according to people who have done both)?!  They do it
intentionally - they like to keep the barriers to entry very high.   I had to
give them names of 12 references, 6 personal and 6 professional.  Then, the
Florida Bar Investigator contacted them all, and asked them all to tell him
everything they knew about me.  Then, as the icing on the cake, he asked EACH
of them to give him the names of 6 people they knew who knew me, and contacted
all of those additional people, asked them all to tell him everything they knew
about me, and asked all of them for another 6 names, etc.  It was like the
widening circles when you throw a pebble in a stream.  Eventually there was NO
ONE who knew me who hadn't been contacted by the Florida Bar Investigator??  I
couldn't go anywhere, see anyone I knew, without being told t
 hat that person had been contacted by the Florida Bar.  It was truly amazing.
The cycle does not stop until they stop getting new names.

They work on the theory that they will find out absolutely everything there is
to know that way.  I am sure that is true.  That is in addition to a full
credit check, criminal and traffic history, docket check, public records check,
and civil history.  It took close to a year.  Had I had any secrets, they would
have found them.  Fortuantely, I didn't have any, so eventually they ran out of
things to investigate and admitted me to the Florida Bar.

Margy Golant

From: cyndy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 2005/09/19 Mon PM 06:20:20 EDT
To: mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx,
        showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Background checks for parent club officers?

Thank you, Margy. That is exactly what I meant.
Cyndy