[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Background checks for parent club officers?

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:08:21 -0400

I'm sure Cyndy didn't mean to start a firestorm.  When you are used to
background checks and clearances as a matter of normal daily life, it feels
different.  I can understand her thought process - I work for a publicly-traded
corporation as in-house counsel, and previously worked for a publicly-traded
Federall-regulated bank.  Security was and is high, all the more so because of
Sarbannes-Oxley and the ongoing fallout from the recent scandals (Enron,
Worldcom).  As a result, all new hires in both companies are subjected to
rigorous background screening, and at my current company, to drug testing as
well.  In addition, here they do random drug testing of current employees, and
anyone can be tapped to give a sample, from the CEO to the weekend janitor.

When I was in the process of going to work at the bank and was told about the
background screen, it did leave me with a creepy feeling.  I knew I had nothing
to worry about, but the idea of a a total stranger (or strangers) combing
through every detail of my life just was not comfortable.  Once I passed
through that phase and was onboard as in-house counsel, from time to time the
HR Department would bring me background screen reports from potential new
people which they questioned, for me to advise them whether or not to be
concerned, from a general liability standpoint, and also as it related to
Sarb-Ox (now they call it SOX <G>).  Initially it felt very strange to be
reading details that intimate about people's lives (even though I had been
practicing law, including matrimonial law for 20 years), but eventually it
became routine, and so I didn't have the same reaction to the suggestion that
many here did.

I don't mean by the above that I agree that the proposal makes sense -  I don't
think so at all.  The GSDCA is a dog club, not a Federally-regulated entity
with public shareholders, or the US State Department.  The GSDCA and can and
should encourage everyone who has something constructive to contribute to run
for GSDCA office.  We need all the good people who are willing to step forward
to be, and to feel welcome.

However, we also need good ideas regarding lots of the things we do in the
GSDCA, and potential ways to do them better.  The way that process works is for
people to brainstorm.  Lots of ideas that come out of brainstorming sessions
are not workable, but occasionally one emerges that is great.  I do think we
should take the suggestion in the spirit Cyndy offered it - as a brainstorming
idea, not as an attack on anyone, which clearly was not her intention.

Margery Golant
Recording Secretary
GSDCA

From: cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 2005/09/19 Mon PM 03:08:24 EDT
To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Background checks for parent club officers?

DD,
I have no idea who is even running for office. I am so far out of the
loop. I've been no mail for a couple of months now, and the last I
heard about the election was at a show in Ventura several months ago.
I'm working on a Sarbannes Oxley audit here at the office, and
fiduciary responsibility is on my mind I guess. The club has a large
budget, and well, it just got me wondering. Many non profits also run
background checks on volunteers for one reason or another.
Cyndy