[ SHOWGSD-L ] Back from Louisiana

  • From: "Harlowe Jahelka" <hcj2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:00:50 -0500

Hi All,
I returned from two weeks of protecting CLECO (Central Louisiana Electric
Company) workers approximately 20 miles from New Orleans, or as the crow flies,
on the North shore of Lake Ponchitrain. I am judging at the Gig Harbor Shows in
Washington next weekend, so had to come home.

 We had law enforcement officers and retired law enforcement officers from all
over the country. To name a few departments; LA County Sheriff (ME), San Diego
County Sheriff,  Tampa PD, Miami PD, Chicago PD, New York PD, Indianapolis
Sheriff, Memphis Sheriff, and Detroit PD. These men took leave without pay from
their departments to help.

 I personally did not see any stray or dead purebred dogs, however many mixed
breeds. There were many dead animals in the yards of houses where human remains
were found. Utter devastation is impossible to describe so I won't try. Take
what you see on TV, multiply by ten and add stench.
I took many pictures, but not with our digital camera, so will have to wait
until they are developed. If they turn out I will have them at the National for
you to see.

Thanks to the many list members who sent messages and prayers for my safety.

Harlowe Jahelka
Belleterre GSDs and Brussels Griffons
Monterey TN