[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Back Injury/Scarlett... this is serious

  • From: GSD0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:15:32 EDT

Thanks Lew for the information on Lumbrosacral Stenosis.

I didn't know what it was called; but it is the primary reason that judges
need to be diligent about faulting dragging toes and dead tails.  And we,  as
breeders need to eliminate the animals that drag their toes and have dead
tails from our breeding programs. These conditions are NOT just gait  faults.
They are deadly... especially to our breed.

A few years ago at a National on Friday night was saying that the dog he  was
handling the next day in Specials was a VERY nice dog who had a tremendous
temperament, extremely beautiful, and had a spectacular forehand.  He had,  his
handler said but one fault.  He dragged his rear toes and it was  obvious.
The handler asked the question if you should throw away an entire  dog because
of one fault.  A very famous breeder was listening and  said HE would throw
away a dog with only one fault if it was THAT one  fault.

Fran Ford and Fred Migliori have been teaching for years that  this condition
has the POTENTIAL to destroy our breed. Maybe now we'll  start to listen to
them.  This disease is serious!  And not only is it  serious but it is
prevalent.

Gary Lewis