[ SHOWGSD-L ] BYBs and puppy mills?

  • From: "edwinx" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:00:14 -0800

a lister posted that Backyard breeders and puppy mills have made our breed
worse...have they?...well I for one am not sure I agree with this
statement...as a matter of fact I disagree with it....BYBs and puppy mills no
doubt do not produce AKC Champions, but does that automatically mean they are
producing "bad" dogs...define bad!...perhaps I am producing bad dogs...in the
over 30 litters I have produced in my life time I have never breed a
champion...were these all bad dogs...did I all by my lonesome make the breed
worse?...define "worse"...I strongly agree with the rights of BYBs and Puppy
Mills to continue producing dogs..I won't get into the reasons why in this
post, but if you think about it or care to, you should be able to figure it
out...and how accessible do we "Qualified Quality" breeders make our dogs to
the general public...it is my opinion that we "quality breeders" do more to
KEEP the BYBs and puppy mills in business!....look at all the terms and
conditions many put on the contracts to buy their dogs....and heaven forbid if
a pet person wants to buy a show dog but not show him, and these co-owner
terms, might as well sign a pre-nup...and some folks have background checks
that ask more questions than the federal government...I am not saying any of
these things are bad but I'll bet the folks selling out of the mills don't put
folks through all the extra red tape dogs....not trying to get anyone to change
how they do business....but make sure you look at the big picture....to steal a
phrase from my good friend Kathaleen Strong..."but what the hell do I
know".....Ed Hill