[ SHOWGSD-L ] BYB's

  • From: ParavelGS@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (showlist)
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:45:28 +0000

"Yes there are puppies around here but for the most part it is people who think
they are going to make big bucks by selling dogs "

They do make big bucks... because they put nothing into it.  They don't show
dogs, they don't put working titles on their dogs. They don't spend the money
on stud fees, they don't spend money being members of the GSDCA, they don't
spend money on cultures, OFA's and maybe keep up with their vacinations.  They
pay pet prices for a male and female and then breed them.  If you can breed a
bitch twice a year, have 10-16 puppies and charge $500 each you are doing
pretty well.  How do you stop that?

When I had a stud dog and people called me about breeding one of the biggest
reasons they gave me for having a litter was they wanted to get their initial
investment back.  After all, they had paid 700-800 at the pet store for the
dog.  Not one of these people had even x-rayed their bitch, because she was
papered her hips must be good, or the breeder they bought from guaranteed the
hips.  Honestly, this is what was said to me!  In case you are wondering, no I
didn't breed to them.  But I'm sure they found someone who would.

Sheri Chambers
Home of:
CH Clayfield Murphy's Romance
Longspeak's Tiny Dancer