[ SHOWGSD-L ] BSl Illinois SB 1790

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:30:21 EST

I had emailed Senator Luechtefeld (from my district) a couple of nights ago
about this bill.  I know him to be a quality individual, and he is on the
agricultural committee.  As has already been announced, the bill is apparently
going nowhere.  Sen. Luechtefeld told me that he spoke to the Sen. Sandoval and
told him that he thought he had a bad bill.  Apparently Sen. Sandoval is no
longer planning to call the bill.  Sen. Luechetefeld told me that the bill
probably didn't have enough support to pass, which is possibly why there was a
change
of plans.  I should also say that the exact words were, "may not call the
bill."  I was reminded that it was Springfield that we were talking about, and
things can change unexpectedly.
In any case, it sounds like this round is as good as over.  Senator
Luechtefeld did remind me that this will probably be brought up every year, so
be
prepared.

By the way ... Contrary to some people's belief that trying to change the
system is a waste of time ... This is the second time I've emailed state
politicians, and in every case I received a response.  The last time, my father
had
wrongfully received a ticket for a new "left lane law" that was passed about a
year ago.  With the help of one State Congressman, and the State Senator who
wrote the legislation, that ticket was dropped, along with who knows how many
others that were given to other people because law enforcement agencies didn't
actually know what the law said.

Finally ... There is one more thing that we can do which will help a great
deal in the long run.  Tonight, I will write a letter to the editor of our
local
paper, thanking Senator Luechtefeld for his assistance, and briefly
explaining breed specific legislation.  While we, as the most active people in
our b
reed, need to be on the front line.  We must remember that every pet owner with
one of the breeds under pressure, is probable support in stopping BSL.  Few of
them will ever even hear about BSL, until its too late.  The editorial pages
of your local papers are a good place to get that news out.  In fact, in the
case of the left lane law question, a simple letter to the editor turned the
story into front page news, which my dad was happy to pose for a picure for. <G>

Tom Langlitz