[ SHOWGSD-L ] BSL animal rights

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mayor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:55:26 -0800 (PST)

I belong to a group on Yahoo that has been discussing your city's attempt to
control animal ownership and control.

  I am sure current laws are plenty to keep the streets safe, if the laws were
upheld better.  More laws will not work.  And the proposed laws are putting
caring and careful breeders out of your taxable jurisdiction.

  Dog show clubs are looking for new locations, taking away income to the city.
 You need to talk to vets and breeders who work with AKC and other breed
organizations in the region.  Ask what is needed to keep dogs safe and people
safer.  What you propose at this time is overly restrictive and may even be
unconstitutional.  Expect any new laws to be challenged by an suprisingly large
number of people.  And also expect that you will loose citizens to any bad laws
inacted.

  We are not fools who will take this lying down.  We are groups of very
intellegent people who care for our dogs and have studied from many different
sources what is best for ourselves and our dogs.

  We even take the time to research the history of dogs in general and the
breed(s) we choose to get involved with.

  Dogs are not a creature of nature.  They are a genetically engineered
creature that was created by Man to be with and serve us.  This is not a fly by
night project, rather this effort was started by the very first civilations.
The domestic dog has been around almost as long as we have.   They decend from
but are not themselves, wolves.  There is a lot in common with the wolf, this
is why dog trainers have jobs, but they are by no means, the same as a wolf.

  Dogs cannot live without human interaction, we made them dependant on us, but
we are therefore responsible for their welfare.  Doing right by our dogs is not
something to be taken lightly, but is also not something that should be heavly
restricted.  We should be responsible for the actions of our dogs.  People need
to be held accountable for what their dogs do.

  It all comes down to training, and understanding of the leadership role
humans should take with dogs.  It is not about spaying every animal within 100
miles.  That will not stop the people who do not respect the dogs.

  And finally I will say that people who do not respect the law do not respect
dogs.  People who do not respect current laws will not respect new laws.

  Take a look at the current laws as they exist.  They are likely very good and
will keep people and dogs safe, if they are enforced.

  Enacting new laws will be harmful to the city, not benifical.  And again,
those who do not respect current have no reason to respect new laws.  Those who
will respect current laws will move away with new laws.  They don't want to
break the law so they will move to where there are no bad laws.

  Sheila Lieberman
  Miami, Florida
  Loving Obedience Dog Training
  Mernydex German Shepherd's
  305-772-3647

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.