[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: BROKEN HEARTED

  • From: Jackie Short-Nguyen <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 19:26:03 -0400

*The reason most GSDs are shown with a handler if because the look better
with one*

This is an opinion I have never shared. And I have had my dogs with a
handler on a couple of occasions (knowing the dog was unlikely to do
anything). I like to see my dogs moving, but no, I don't feel they look
better with somebody else.

That said, I have also worked HARD to get my dogs to move open and
extended, even in spite of my chances of hindering them due to mobility
issues.

What I see when dogs are doubled is often animals that move much too
quickly, and a handler that just runs faster to keep up rather than teach
the dog to slow down, even when being called.

A smart dog doesn't suddenly become dumb and enjoy running around a ring
just because they're being called.

I recently bred my first litter. They are 10 months old and beautiful
(save one who has some growing up to do, which is fine). Out of nine
puppies, six went to novice show homes, and with the exception of one
person everybody has done what they said they would do. We communicate, we
have fun, we share pictures, I give advice, they ask questions (and not
just to me). People are having a great time.

One puppy (my keeper) is pointed out of bred by and has a BBE G4. Another
puppy has two major reserves from the puppy classes and just garnered his
first point. His owners, who are new to showing dogs, are absolutely
ECSTATIC! The daughter wants to become a junior handler, and their young
dog will be her juniors dog.

I will sell to novices, help novices, in the ways that I was not helped. I
refuse to call somebody a "know it all" even if I may feel that way,
because it unnecessarily hurts feelings and puts bad blood in the water
before a person can even get started. Instead, I try to ignore what may be
somebody trying to share what they DO know, and focus on their general
intent, and guide from there. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and
there is nothing to be done about it.

I owner handle my dogs. I finished my first champion at the end of March.
It took me 15 years to do it, but I did what everybody said I couldn't. I
stayed through all the bullcrap, and nastiness, and heartbreak. I'm not
sure if I'm stupid or passionate, but I'm doing it. I want other people to
love this sport like I do. But I won't lie to them and tell them it's all
roses and rainbows.

People can be unequivocally ruthless...over a dog show. I can't protect
newbies from that, but I can teach them what is and isn't important. And I
try my best to do that.

I spend my time at all breeds because I tend to prefer the atmosphere and
the people there. I enter a specialty here and there, and never expect to
do anything. And it's not because my dogs aren't good. It's because
specialties are what they are and I won't hire a handler and the big ring
is just hard for me to navigate at this stage in my life.

That's fine. I can still support a club here and there. But that's the
end of it for me.

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Redacted sender Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx for
DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Tina welcome and good luck with your dog :)

The reason most GSDs are shown with a handler if because the look better
with one. Pure and simple, when "mom" is outside of the ring the picture
looks better. GSDs get bored easily, they are smart dogs and we all find
ways to discreetly (in the case of all breeds) double them. Extended they
are beautiful. Trotting along besides their owner...weeeeellllllllll....

I breed for me and when I have a litter I really have to have my arm
twisted to sell a show prospect. (Notice said "prospect".) I'd much
prefer the dogs go to a loving companion home who may or may not have
performance ambitions. I have absolutely stunning dogs working with PTS
vets, doing SAR work etc.

Why? Because if you sell someone a show prospect and it isn't next year's
super star...then what? A bitch is bred a few times? A male is placed?
THEN what happens to the dog/bitch? Does the buyer want a replacement? For
free?

Contrast that to a companion puppy who sleeps on a child's bed nightly.

I had an absolutely lousy week last week. True story. Three years ago I
sold a pick bitch puppy to a would- be Junior. We had been in contact for
over a year, parents were on board. I practically gave the dog away,
certainly between raising and vetting the puppy I lost, and I was paid in
cash in $1s, $5s and $10 bills. Cute right?

Well when I supplied match show info, handling class info, obedience class
info it turned out the teen had no transportation. The bitch is now three
and the mother sends me an e-mail saying they will never "break even on the
bitch" had expected to breed her to help pay for the teen's college fund. I
guess they looked into the $$$ of health checks and stud fees.

I can't make this stuff up.

I'm not alone. If you talk to people who consistently put out a very
nice, very sound puppy.....wwwweeelllllll....

*Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC*Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd
Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 5/4/2015 3:24:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tad55051@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi List!

Some of you may know me.....most others probably do not. My name is Tina
Dubois and I live in Minnesota. I have been showing in conformation for
about 1 year. I owner handle my own dogs.
I thought I'd share my newbie experience of getting involved in
conformation GSD showing.
First of all.....it was very difficult for me to find a dog that was show
quality to purchase. Breeders that I contacted....when I told them I was
new and wished to start showing GSD in conformation.....a couple things
happened....1) They said they didn't sell show quality dogs to new people.
End of story.....No suggestions......no more contact from them. 2) They
didn't respond to me at all....via email or Facebook 3) They insisted I get
into a contractual agreement with them that I had to hire a professional
handler to show the dog.
I have been told countless times that to be competitive I HAVE to hire a
handler.
Handlers for GSDs are so common it is expected. I will not hire a handler.
I have nothing against people who do.....but I want to be involved in every
aspect with my dogs. It should be my choice. This is a HUGE reason why
people are running away from conformation. People are just doing
obdience.....rally.....IPO....other working dog sports....because it is
acceptable to do these sports WITH your dog. Your younger people are not
doing conformation because it's almost impossible to get involved. The
breeders shut people out.
Now thank God I found a breeder who would sell me a dog and mentor me. If
I hadnt.....I also would have probably went to schutzhund.
I understand that selling to new people is taking a chance with the lines
people have worked so hard to produce. But do we have to just say no to new
people?
I try to stay out of most discussions because I'm new. I try to learn all
I can from everyone. I just thought I'd throw this out there because
everyone seems confused as why there are not a bunch of new people showing
conformation GSDs. In my experience.....this is a big part of the reason.
Tina

--
Jackie Short-Nguyen
Marcato German Shepherds <http://www.marcatogermanshepherds.com/>