[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: BREEDING QUESTIONS

  • From: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx
  • To: wynsum@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:55:19 EDT

HECK NO I WOULD NOT Breed anything left alive from either litter...... I
would not if I still owned any of the bloat litter even place in a pet
home.....  To me both numbers are so incredibly high in the litters that it
would have to be genetic and since we can not prove otherwise they would have
 be eliminated from breeding . Especially the bloat and until they could
come up with proof otherwise they and likely the bitch that produced it would
 not be bred again..... If I was going to breed her again I would go a
complete  different direction and PRAY for a small litter to grow out myself
and
find out  either way...

As for the hips... I once bred a litter 5 generations OFA GOOD both sides
and had a litter of 11, kept 5 in my home or other show homes and repeated
the  breeding before pre limbs.... Now the bitch is in whelp with a litter of
9....  YIKES... Did pre limbs and it wasn't pretty.... None of the 5 had
good hips (all  elbows were good) and this was Xray'd by Dr. Whitecamp.....
Now I wish I  had not repeated but it was to late.... The repeat all ofa'd
good with one  Excellent.... Leading you to believe that there are other
factors into what  happened on the first litter... and possibly on HD...

Now Not that I would have EVER repeated no encouraged repeating the
breeding had I known...

Deb

In a message dated 9/14/2009 2:28:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wynsum@xxxxxxx writes:
Mesenteric Torsion is GENETIC

They have know that for years in  Humans, horses, cows and very other breed
of dog - it isn't
until recently  that they are now including the GSD

However, Bloat is familial.   They have not found the way it is passed on,
nor how HD is passed
on -  that might be because it is a three gene triat or there is a gene
that turns  it on - not basic
genetics on those two problems

However, I find it  more interesting to look at the horizontal pedigree
than the vetical  one

Let's say LITTER A is a litter of 8 GSDs -4 male and 4 female   6 of the
litter ( 3 males and 3
females) have crippling HD by age 2 and  one male is not tested, and one
female just barely
passes her ofa.   This one female is then bred.

The discussion is

WOULD YOU HAVE  BRED THIS BITCH and WHY or WHY NOT

LET'S TALK BITTER B. LITTER B is a  litter of 8 GSDs -4 male and 4 female
6 of the litter ( 3
males and  3 females) BLOAT BY AGE 2.  One Male dies, cause unknown.

WOULD  YOU HAVE BRED THIS BITCH and WHY or WHY  NOT

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org