[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: BRAGS

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: CagGra@xxxxxxx, mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx, izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:41:01 EDT

In a message dated 3/19/2008 8:48:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, CagGra  writes:
I don't  need to go get those titles on the end of her name to prove to me
that she is  intelligent and agile.

I certainly hope no one takes offense to the following, but I thought  I
would share this with the list after reading the above post.  The below
article
was written by Sany Mowery in Front & Finish magazine.  It was  specifically
written in reference to obedience titles, but is apropos for  really ANY dog
sport.
**************************
What is a Title?
by Sandy Mowery, from Front & Finish
Not just a  brag, not just a stepping stone to a higher title, not just an
adjunct to  competitive scores; a title is a tribute to the dog that bears it,
way to  honor the dog, an ultimate memorial. It will remain in the record and
in the  memory, for about as long as anything in this world can remain.
And though the dog himself doesn't know or care that his achievements have
been noted, a title says many things in the world of humans, where such things
count.
A title says your dog was intelligent, adaptable, and good natured. It says
that your dog loved you enough to do the things that please you, however crazy
 they may have sometimes seemed.
In addition, a title says that you love your dog. That you loved to spend
time with him because he was a good dog and that you believed in him enough to
give him yet another chance when he failed and in the end your faith was
justified.
A title proves that your dog inspired you to that special relationship
enjoyed by so few; that in a world of disposable creatures, this dog with a
title
was greatly loved, and loved greatly in return.
And when that dear short life is over, the title remains as a memorial of the
 finest kind, the best you can give to a deserving friend. Volumes of praise
in  one small set of initials after the name.
An obedience title is nothing less that the true love and respect, given and
received and recorded permanently.
***********************************

People find time for that which is important to them.  We don't all  find
time for the same things.  That's okay.  It would be a boring  world if we all
did the same things.  Just last night at agility class,  someone asked me (in a
slightly judgemental way) why I didn't  compete more in USBCHA herding trials
with my border collie....well, I  don't find the time for THAT.  The same
thing with the USDAA agility...I  don't find time for that.  Others do and
that's
great.

Again, I'm sorry that anyone thought my original post was being judgemental
on what other people do or don't do with their own dogs.  I never meant to
insult someone else.

Julie  Degen
_www.caissonkennels.com_ (http://www.caissonkennels.com/)
"A well-balanced German Shepherd has a title on both  ends!"

Home.