[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: BANDWIDTH USE AT FREELISTS

  • From: Lew <lew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 14:16:02 -0700

Doc,

There are many ways to do this...

First of all each person is given disk space by their ISP. In the old days it was a meager 20MB but most providers give you quite a bit of space these days. It is easy to FTP a file using FTP tools or by methods your ISP provides to upload images to your own space you are paying for, then those images can be inserted into a post as a link so the bandwidth doesn't get used from this list.

Likewise, if you have a Gmail account, whether or not you use the mail feature, you are given 5GB of disk space to upload things into. Dropbox gives you free space, Amazon Prime provides unlimited photo space, and the list goes on and on. Resources we already have and are using.

As a caution, Flickr changed it's rights saying they own all the pictures you upload so many of us are avoiding that particular option.

Thanks for your efforts,
Lew

On 1/31/2015 11:01 AM, Doc Zoe wrote:
On 31 Jan 2015, at 10:28, freelists.org wrote:

On a daily basis, showgsd-l consumes about an order of magnitude more
bandwidth than the
next list below it.  This has come to our attention because of metered
network costs and it's
something I think you should be aware of.

Sending images and other large attachments to 1300 people through email,
though, isn't the
most efficient process in that everyone receives the content while on
average very few of them
will view it.  Is there something we can do to meet in the middle?  We
don't want to affect the
functionality of your list but there are millions of other subscribers to
consider as well.  Perhaps
recommending that images be shared via a link to Imgur, that large files
be kept to a minimum,
that sort of thing?

http://www.imgur.com

THE ADMIN ASK: