[ SHOWGSD-L ] BAD bill..Today in Sacramento/ long

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:59:58 -0700

It was interesting today.....Ed Hill was quiet and didn't tell more than two
jokes....so it was very surreal.......<G>
Levine had speakers that spoke mainly of numbers......"Millions spent on
euthanizing dogs and cats and
numbers of animals euthanized."     He had a Vet that testified that having
spayed and neutered thousands
of puppies for a clinic at 8 weeks of age he had never had one health complaint
from the early spay and
neuter.    A couple of workers at Animal Controls spoke on the numbers they
destroy.....it was depressing.
WE need to also understand where these people are coming from.
THEY  need to understand where these "numbers"  are coming from.

Bill Hemby of PETpac had some outstanding speakers for the "NO" side including
some working with
Service dogs that spoke about needing service dogs to be older than 4 - 6
months to make decisions on
their capabilities and breeding quality......someone for Search and
Rescue...and intelligent Vet that spoke
on several issues.    They were all highly qualified and gave intelligent
outstanding arguments.   There
was an AKC Rep. that spoke quickly about Purebred dogs.......

Mr. Levine made it clear it was only rumors that the bill was being
pulled....but was squirming after some
spoke on the "NO" side  ( in my  opinion )  and began to talk about
'negotiating' ammendments and
wanted to amend the bill right there!
Wally Cox   ( REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR HIM  )  said he had not seen anyone so
"ammendment minded"
and a bill so "ammended" and that it only continued become more unnacceptable
with each ammendment
and saw no purpose in adding another "shoot from the hip" ammendment and
refused to agree to that.
Finally the chair suggested Levine take until January to clarify his
ammendments and bring it back and it
was pretty much over after that.

My impression ..........Had we not had Bill Hemby's quickly formed PETPac in
the last two months there to
represent our side.....WE WOULD HAVE LOST TODAY !!!!!!!!!
His group was prepared, articulate, well represented from ALL angles and they
even had Lassie and Timmy
 ( from the well )  there and THAT  attracted the T.V.cameras!!!     At the
Rally afterward....Weatherwax
( Lassie's breeder / trainer )    spoke to the cameras while showing off Lassie
and said had this bill been
 in place a few years ago there  would have been no Lassie then,   and there
would  be no Lassie now!!!
( I heard one of the Press and some people in the crowd repeat that
statement.......it struck home!! )
Someone with disibilities spoke on how she relied on her dogs and how they were
a huge part of her life
and how she would not have them if this bill was in place......The Press kept
the cameras going
PETPac even attracted the largest Cat Organization in the Nation and got a huge
donation and lots of support
from them and she spoke to the feral cat issue and about breeding purebred cats
at the Rally and someone
even had a cat in the crowd.     Their group had afforded PETPac to have some
T.V. time......and I believe
it helped to save us.
.

I spoke to Kelly Moran afterwards and asked him if their intent was for PETPac
to grow beyond California
and he said PETPac hoped to have Nationwide impact soon.....but needs help of
course.    I asked him
to write up some kind of mandate of their intent or plan on that level.......he
said he would.
Their success in pushing Mr. Levine into his corner was impressive to
me.......I really do not  believe it would
have happened without them!!!    Believe me..........there was a huge group of
"YES" people there also!!
We need to continue to organize.......stay vigilant and stay the
course......and be willing to help.
If this ever gets through in California.......it will be coming to a State near
you!!

At the Rally....another very effective person was standing in the crowd facing
the cameras with a huge
VOTE NO sign bravely facing all the T.V. cameras........by jove at second
glance I realized it was Ed Hill...and
yet he still refused to tell one joke........well.......maybe he got off ONE in
the actual meeting....but I am just too
smart to tell you what he said.   <G>

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com