[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Awards, Merits, etc...

  • From: diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:02:58 +0000

My thought on the highest achievement  is HCh (Herding Champion) or if you're
talking club specific awards, then Herding Victor/Victrix (highest scoring
advanced level dog at the national).

I have one HCh & one that's 2/3rds the way there.  My almost HCh was high
scoring advanced level dog in 2006 at the GSDCA C Course National Herding
Event. Unfortunately, since C Course was separate from the rest of the National
he doesn't get to be called Herding Victor, which is sad. (Sad for me, the dog
doesn't know or care!) Maybe in 2008 C will be offered with the rest of the
National.

ANYWAY....for my 2 cents, advanced level herding titles are the measure of a
GSD. Breed championships, while very, very nice, are so common.  There are
currently hundreds of CH dogs and thousands have been awarded that distinction
over the years. Herding Champions? Very few. Herding Victor/Victrix? Even
fewer. (But then the award/title is fairly recent.) There has never been a
CH/HCh GSD. Not one! Tons of them in other breeds. Well, maybe not in OES,
Canaan Dogs or Pulik. ;-) That gives you an idea of the merit of an exceptional
herding GSD!

There is a HCh pointed CH GSD in New England & a CH GSD in TX who just started
competing for HCh points. Both dogs are girls... if that means anything.... and
both dogs are their handlers first herding dogs.
Wish them luck! Someone (or somedog) is destined for a history making title!

Diane
& HCh Chelsea & HCh-pointed Jack