[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Austin manditory spay/neuter ordinance proposal

  • From: "Rick and Audra" <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:14:39 -0700

Carol Adams is on our side!
Rick Haase
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Thanks for the feedback, Rick. And on behalf of the Austin Animal Advisory
Commission, I apologize for Cathy Olive's rude and unprofessional reply to
you. Unfortunately, it is not the first comment like this from Cathy to a
citizen of which I am aware.

Please understand that Cathy is very much a minority voice on the Animal
Advisory Commission. She certainly does not speak for me.

Carol Adams
Austin Animal Advisory Commission

At 06:51 PM 5/16/2005 -0400, ricknaudra@xxxxxxx wrote:

  Please take a moment to re-consider this one.
  Take note that the money that you are attempting to make off of this bill
will be lost ten fold by the loss of vacationers and people that would
normally come to your wonderful city for dog shows. I live in Tucson and I
actively show dogs across the country and let me tell you this is currently
such a hot issue with everyone across the land that it's amazing!

  Now read this response from Cathy Ann Olive (trzoo@xxxxxxx) an Austin
Committee Staff member. This was in response to a dog hobbyist stating that
people will no longer come to Austin for shows.

  "Fine. We only have one dog show a year. Not a big deal."

  This was a very bad response.  Guess what?
  This has also made across the country already.

  YES, there may be only 1 show a year in Austin but there are other clubs
in Austin that have their shows close to Austin  (Hutto, San Antonio,
Leander, Montgomery) and they will also be effected by a ban by dog
hobbyists that will no longer come to Austin.

  Austin Bulldog Club
  Collie Club Of Austin, Inc.
  Greater Austin Doberman Pinscher Club
  Austin Kennel Club, Inc.
  Austin Golden Retriever Club
  Austin K-9 Xpress Agility Club
  Capitol Dog Training Club of Austin, Inc.
  Travis County Kennel Club

  Honestly, is this what you are really trying to accomplish?
  I believe that I can understand what you are attempting to accomplish but
I feel that there has to be a better way.

  Good luck with your future endeavors.

  -Rick Haase

> Msg: #4 in digest
> From: LEWIEB@xxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:21:44 EDT
>
> OK, so you all say that you want to get involved, here is your chance.
Read
> the following email, then send your response to the mayor and 2-3
Committee
> members.  Let them know that you do attend dog shows in Austin but you
will not
> bring your dogs nor your money to their City of this Bill passes.  It is a
> short email and it just may help.
>
> Lew
>

> In a message dated 5/16/05 2:07:07 PM, CYNECAGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << Looks like the "animal activists" are at it again.  The following was
> received from ROPA concerning a meeting to be held in Austin to discuss a
> mandatory spay/neuter ordinance be placed in the city of Austin.  Please
feel free to
> email those listed and voice your opposition, even if you are not in
Austin.
> [...]
> grace@xxxxxxxx
>
> Carol Adams
> cadams@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Babette Ellis
> Exmoorpet@xxxxxxx
>
> Jan Fulton
> fultoncats@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Mike McDonald
> Michael.McDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Cathy Ann Olive
> trzoo@xxxxxxx
>
>  >>

> ------------------------------
>
> Msg: #5 in digest
> From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Austin manditory spay/neuter ordinance proposal
> Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:30:59 -0700
>
> This is one of the WORST and most intrusive plans I've ever seen. People
in
> Austin will just stop registering their animals and that will turn ACO's
> into "breeder posses".
>
> I urge everyone on "Da List" to email, fax, and hard copy these folks in
> opposition to this proposal. If this does pass it won't be long before it
> spreads like a bad virus to cities and counties near you.
>
> Paul
>
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Austin manditory spay/neuter ordinance proposal
>

>  OK, so you all say that you want to get involved, here is your chance.
> Read the following email, then send your response to the mayor and 2-3
> Committee members.  Let them know that you do attend dog shows in Austin
but
> you will not bring your dogs nor your money to their City of this Bill
> passes.  It is a short email and it just may help.
>
> The proposal states:(A) It shall be unlawful to own, possess, or harbor
any
> dog or cat over the age of 6 months that has not been spayed or neutered
or
> sterilized, except as provided in subsection (B).
> 1) Medical reasons,
> 2) Transitory - animals in the city less than 30 days in a 1 year period,
> 3) Option of ANNUAL $500 "Intact Permit" with an additional $10 per intact
> animal, with the usual permit license number requirement to be in any
> advertisement.
>
>  Enforcement and Penalties:
> An owner in violation has 90 days to provide proof of sterilization or
> animal will be confiscated and sterilized at the owner's cost if the owner
> chooses to reclaim the animal. Otherwise the owner may surrender ownership
> of the animal to the city. If the owner of the animal fails to provide
proof
> of sterilization by 90 days and obstructs confiscation of the animal, the
> owner shall be placed in jail.

> Msg: #6 in digest
> Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Catherine Morton <managsd@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: F.I.D.O organization info again
>
> Hi guys,
> I saw a crosspost about the group F.I.D.O., tried to save the email to
print out and then of course deleted it and emptied my trash can.  I do not
have the archives passwords (shoul dhave wrote them down-- shame on me!!);