[ SHOWGSD-L ] Aural Hematoma

  • From: Cindy <sophoclesajax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:05:21 -0700

I've gone through archives already . . . as I've never dealt with this
before. Any additional wisdom right now would be appreciated please!
The vet has had better success since aspirating w/cortisone injection (to
thin blood) than without, keeping patient & doing treatment across the day
before releasing -- so we have done that first and are waiting to see if it
will refill and surgery be necessary.

I've tried icing today, but she will not allow me near that ear area (inner
top third, edge). Left message for vet asking whether I should leave it
un-iced or use some Ace & try again.

I'm seeing a small amount of swelling/possible refilling, doesn't seem to
be worsening, but worry it would be better controlled w/icing. Ear is
upright, but a bit of sag to that area -- and I want very much to preserve
her beautiful big upright GSD ears & the lovely set of her ears!!! She
seems comfortable, other than not letting me or even the other dogs near
that ear without yelping loudly in warning.

In archive I found:

*Carolyn's successful experience of a vet putting padding & wrapping around
Doberman style, to preserve upright ear & shape integrity

*discussion of aspiration vs surgery options (and successful surgery
depending upon experience of practitioner this type of thing successfully)

*buttons/xray film backing idea

No ear infection of history of them. No parasites. Dog had been scratching
her neck a lot and toward bottom base behind ears, will do a quick hard
shake off with head sometimes -- leading me to wonder whether it was the
force of that or if a hind nail hit too hard.

Vet said about half the dogs have had chronic ear infections, but in some
it's immune mediated and triggered.

Cindy

http://showgsd.org/mail.html