[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Attack work

  • From: GSD0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:46:12 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/2007 8:52:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I would  think that you, Evan, would embrace the working character of our
breed.   After all, the German Shepherd did not become known for its tradition
of
 service to mankind based on his exciting sidegait.  To cite the anti-dog
legislation as a reason to 're-think' the working dog sport is to surrender
our
rights as dog owners.

I agree entirely with Linda.... The German Shepherd Dog is capable of doing
more things well than any other breed.  I love to see a good sidegaiter....
but if he/she is lacking in temperament and character what type work could
he/she do?

The Working Dog Sport is a big step in the right direction for AKC in my  op
inion.  Protection training is valuable for any dog if it is balanced  with
obedience.  I hear people say.... if he has the correct temperament he  will
protect you if the situation arises that you need him.  I agree he  will
protect
you.  But can you call him off? How do you know?

If we don't like what is happening in the WDA maybe more of us should get
involved in the Working Dog Sport.  Many American show line dogs can't do  the
work.... BUT there are some who can... I'll let you in on a highly kept
secret.... many European line dogs can't do the work either.  But it isn't  a
competition as to whose dog does it better it is a chance to teach our dogs
highly
useful disciplines and skills.

I don't know enough to comment on the WDA accusations.... I like Ken
Downing..... I like David Landau.... and I really hate it that there is a
dispute
with them on opposite sides.  However, the truth has a way of  rearing it's
ugly
head so we shall see.

Gary Lewis
_www.GarterGermanShepherdDogs_ (http://gartergermanshepherddogs.com/)