[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Article On Dogs- No Solution

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: willowlakegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:10:35 +0000

Lots of people own them because their history is OUR history!  The APBT has
been around since before the Civil War under a variety of names.  Remember
Petey of the Little Rascals' fame or Spuds McKenzie?? Both are pit fighting
breeds.  Yet how was each depicted? As fun loving "party" animals and kids'
sound companions!  One of the most decorated animals in American military
history was an APBT.  The very FIRST OFFICIAL therapy dog living in a nursing
home in this country was an APBT!  The problem is not just a dog problem but
something that goes FAR FAR deeper.
When you REALLY look at the psychology of biting animals it usually comes down
to one thing - lack of socialization - either deliberate or uneducated neglect.
 We, as a society, have moved off the farm and rural areas and into
neighborhoods with no space to roam.  We put up fences and "staked claims" to a
small piece of dirt that we call home.  When I was a kid all the neighborhood
'younguns' as we were called dissappeared at sunrise and reported home at dark
and all our dogs went with us!  Now, we don't let our kids run in packs any
more for fear of being kidnapped or worse.  Kids are either stuck in front of
TVs or computers and dogs, through regulation have been delegated to a chain in
the back yard!  NEITHER ARE SOCIALIZED ANYMORE!!!  Before you nut up, think
about it.  When we were kids how many dogs bit kids?  We all ran loose - kids
and dogs!  Dog fighting was an underground thing that belonged in the hands of
2nd, 3rd, 4th generation dog fighters and those dogs were s
 pecifically bred to be handled by ANY stranger who wanted to!  Talk about
sound!!!  All the kids got along so did all the dogs!

Currently we are dealing with folks who are living in gettos who don't see any
other way out but to make their money fast.  Additionally, people are no longer
socialized and instilled with a respect for themselves, other people or the
law.  [When kids speak about "IF I grow up" and not WHEN things seem SOOO
hopeless!]  The fastest way to earn their way out and into 'the good life" it
is either through drugs, other illegal activities, or dog fighting [betting,
stud services, and puppy sales] and screw everyone else!

I don't have a solution but I do understand the problem and it is MUCH larger
and more encompassing than many even begin to see.  Personally I think it is
people like FB, our own Ed Hill, who CAN make a difference!  Roll models who
came from their neighborhoods who are working with kids in schools to teach
them, not the HSUS rhetoric, but simple respect for themselves and others;
instilling a work ethic that is dissappearing all too quickly in our society;
and teach them that, if they work for it, they can get ahead.

Whew..... I'm going back to work!

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of Ch Firedog, Ch Cookie, Ch Flair, BIS/BISS Ch Yancy, and Ch Flash!
Website updated 10/05