[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Arizona

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:36:45 -0700

I grew up with Black snakes, but never saw a black racer until I moved
to So CA, so just checked to make sure my memory was not failing me
(again),

 From a website:
Two large, common snakes in our area are called “black snakes”, and
most people do not differentiate between the two. These are the Black
Rat Snake, Elaphe obsoleta, and the Northern Black Racer, Coluber
constrictor. Both are non-venomous members of the Colubridae, as are
most of our native snakes. Herpetologists might use details of scale
pattern and other technical characters to differentiate the two, but
they can be told apart by several “field marks” and habits

http://chatham-county-nc.com/bulletinboard/index.php?action=printpage;topic=13324.0

Stormy