[ SHOWGSD-L ] Are we having fun yet?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:06:46 -0500

So I was talking to a breeder this morning and the conversation was
about dog shows and the people who go to them.  He was saying to me that
he can't understand how some people that you see at a dog show will say,
"Oh I'm only here to have fun."  His response to me was, "I don't go to
dog shows to have fun.  I go to win, and if I don't win then I'm not
having fun."  He couldn't believe that some people who show, just go to
have fun....win or lose.  Now I understand what he's saying.  No one
goes to lose.  However, I know that we're not always going to win as
much as we'd like to, but most of the time I do have fun at shows where
I know that my dog has been FAIRLY evaluated.  I've lost when I felt my
dog should have won and I've also lost when I could understand the other
dog who beat my dog looked better.  It is rare (for me anyway) that I
leave a show very angry unless I've walked in to a political ring and
then that's the last entry that judge gets from me.  But most of the
time, I go home feeling just fine having shown my dog and spent some
quality time with friends.  But this breeder insists, it's only fun when
he wins.  As he says, he doesn't consider spending $400-$500 a week-end
fun unless he comes home a winner.  Financially, he has a point.  So
what do you think, are you all having fun out there showing your dogs or
are there some very cranky people riding back home?    Best wishes,  Barbara