[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Are ultrasounds always right?

  • From: Linda H. <stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:22:08 -0500

OK, this email reminds me of a funny story.  I had leased a shepherd bitch to
have my first litter.  I was told to expect her to whelp on the 58th day.  I
went home from work early on the 57th day and everyone was saying "see you
tomorrow".  I was saying...no, I'll be whelping puppies tomorrow!  Sure enough
she had her first one between 8 and 8:30 and was done by 4:00pm.  It was nice
to be so prepared!

Linda Hendrix

St James Shepherds

Lin Chi Tibetan Spaniels

> From: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Are ultrasounds always right?
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:12:55 -0500
>
> No, they are not. Neither are X-rays, sadly.
>
> Unless one is in the habit of not being home much of the time (say, e.g.,
> you had
> a full-time job) I never understood the purpose of ultrasound....it doesn't
> tell you
> how many babies there are, usually, and I don't know what gets done
> differently
> if it shows the bitch is or is not in whelp.
>
> When I worked full time, and had to add to that an hour or more commute each
> way
> between the office and my home, I was given a "recipe" that would tell me
> when a
> pregnant bitch was due to whelp....so I'd know when to take vacation days.
>
> It sounds ridiculous...but I swear to you that if you and your vet are good
> at reading
> the X-rays, this will tell you when whelping is going to happen.
>
> To begin with, you don't know at 4 weeks...you wait until you are sure,
> using whatever
> method you like.......I'd just wait and see. Then, you schedule an X-ray
> as late as possible
> in the pregnancy...58 or 59 days is optimum. Then you have your vet take
> the picture.
> You put the X-ray up on the viewer and carefully look at each skeleton...and
> then you know,
> depending on what you see, when whelping is going to occur...within hours,
> usually.
>
> You almost always will see the skulls.
>
> If all you see clearly are skulls, you miscalculated and have more
> than a week to wait--maybe as much as 2 weeks.
>
> If you see clearly see skull, shoulders, and the spine, whelping will be in
> 7 to 10 days...you still have time.
>
> All the above plus ribs, you have 5 to 7 days to wait.
>
> All the above plus the long bones (thighs, etc.) 3 to 5 days
>
> If you can see the ENTIRE skeleton, right down to the toes, the bitch will
> whelp within 48 hours...
> make sure the whelping box (and anything else you might need) is ready and
> the bitch is
> used to being there. Now you know when to stay home from the office.
>
> It sounds crazy...but if you get a clear X-ray and take your time reading
> it, you will find that it works
> without fail. I have fooled more than one vet with this recipe...my old vet
> swears by it now. It works for
> all breeds, too.
>
> Of course, not all x-rays are clear, and on the smaller breeds you might
> never actually see the toes...
> but I suggest if you really need to know when whelping will occur, you try
> this. Just remember to
> do the Xray as late as possible......... You should be able to see
> Shepherd toes easily........
>
> and you're welcome.

> [...]
Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft?s powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/