[ SHOWGSD-L ] Applause...

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:14:43 EDT

There are many stories like this, and they all, (and I do mean all) show a
judge who is insecure about judging dogs. Applause has nothing to do with a
good  judge, and is for the crowd, as is double handling.

Most of the time double handling does nothing to improve the quality of the
entry. It does, however, allow the owner to have more fun, feel they are a
part  of the win, and to enjoy the sport. That is all good.

I never plan to applaud, and indeed, the AKC says as a judge  I should  avoid
it. But, when I see a great dog, I indicate it. When a judge has taken
forever to make a decision, I often applaud when they finally chose.  I  also
applaud when I am bored, and when my hands are cold.

No one is going to stop me.  But, they sure can try.

Evan
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come   together

In a message dated 8/10/2008 9:31:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
stormygsd@xxxxxxx writes:

many  years ago at a show, in BOB competition, the judge stopped judging,
came  to the crowd and said that if they could not clap for every dog, they
weren't to clap for any.. further, if the crowd clapped more for a  specific
dog she would penalize that dog and it would not win..She felt it  was "poor
sportsmanship"...that would be like having to cheer for both  teams at a
hockey game!!! Can you  imagine???

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
)