[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Anyone Have Experience with GSD's and Cockatoo's?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:42:55 -0400

Hi Judy:  Once I adopted a wild pigeon.  He was a baby who had fallen
from a tree and was left motherless.  So my boyfriend at that time who
was an animal lover as I was, and myself nursed this baby back to health
at the same time as two baby squirrels we had.  The squirrels got too
wild as they got older and their teeth were very sharp so we gave them
to an animal reservation which kept them and turned them back into the
wild.  The pigeon, however, we kept.  We used to keep him in a hugh
crate in the cellar during the evening and then the next day, we'd let
him out the window and he fly around terriorizing the neighborhood.
This bird had personality to spare.  Smart and affectionate.  I would
sit outside on the deck and if he was in a tree, I'd tap my lap and he'd
come flying down and sit right on me.  The dogs couldn't care less that
he was there.  He would peck at the sliding glass door or fly around to
the other window and let me know when he wanted to come back in.   I'd
open the door and he'd STRUT his stuff in and walk across the floor
right with the two dogs there and then fly up on the dining room hutch
which had newspapers on it.  He showed no fear of the dogs at all.
Infact, he probably thought he was the king of the castle.  He certainly
acted like it.  If the dogs were out on the back deck with us, he was so
brazen, he'd fly and sit on my big 105 lb. males back.  Magnificent dog,
but as gentle as a lamb.  (Gail Hardcastle, if you are reading
this........this was my Xanadu/Decision son).  My female (Xanadu/Troll
dtr.) just accepted he was part of our lives. They were both extremely
sound dogs, so I never had any aggression shown to this bird.  Even my
girl who I own now "Amber" could care less about the birds when she goes
outside.  It's the squirrels that she would love to catch.

I'd just introduce the bird to them while she's sitting in your lap with
her face away from them.  Let them sniff her and watch their body
actions, hackles up, snarling, etc.  Good luck and keep us informed.
Barbara Galasso