[ SHOWGSD-L ] Anybody ever experienced this disease?

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:14:01 EDT

Below is an email  from a friend of mine who has a rescue GSD.  Does anybody
have any experience with this disease and if so what was the
treatment/outcome. TIA

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Ch. Rohan's Reward TC, HT
aka "Strider"

<<
<< Well, I found out yesterday from talking to a neurologist she might have
auto immune disease. Specifically, its called GME. That stands for
Granulomatous Meningoencephalomyelitis. Its a type of encephalitis that's
attacked her
neck. Its fairly common in young small breed dogs, but not for GSDs.The vets
are
beginning to see more of this type of auto immune disease in the US. There is
no cure and she may only have months to live. The western drug therapy is
quite expensive and has side effects that may cause her to waste away. The
drugs
are prednisone,
cyclosporine, and ketoconazole. Aids patients typically take two of these
drugs.

Yesterday I met with a homeopath consultant and she has given me several
liquid medications that I've been giving her since yesterday. I'll try to give
her
only the tinctures for the first 48 hours before I go back to prednisone.
We're trying to see if she responds well to this treatment first.

She has a very wobbly gait and her front right paw knuckles over at
times. Its heartbreaking to see her so ill, especially at such a young
age. I'll let you know how she progresses.

http://www.aol.com.</HTML>