[ SHOWGSD-L ] Any Suggestions (long)

  • From: "Lonna Fisher" <lonnagsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showdogs" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:49:58 -0700

Hi Everyone,
                    We have a problem here that I hope someone might be able to
help with.
A few years ago I lost my beautiful black female Sunflower’s The Highlander
“Raven” to cancer and with her went 8 generations of my old bloodline, I
could not locate a son or daughter of hers that I could use for breeding,
except for a couple that I could not locate.
After posting to this list and the encouragement I got from other breeders to
start over and the help of an old friend Anja Stroud of Hausmekon Kennels I
started over ....... Than a phone call came a few days ago.

Cassandra Beach of GSD rescue of Alberta called me, they had a older GSD there
that she traced to me from his tattoo ..... it was a male from Raven’s last
litter, he was picked up by an animal shelter running loose on a reservation,
(he was only a day or two away from being shot) the animal shelter had him
awhile and was preparing to put him down when Cassandra got him. She called him
Duke, he was completely skin and bones, very weak in the rear and smelled very
bad, with donations she was able to get him a vet check and much needed bath
... the vet check showed him to have a good strong heart and no long term joint
problems but in very bad need of food. the vet felt he was 6 years old.
After talking on the phone with Cassandra and going through my records we found
out he is 9 years old as of last November and still registered in my name, he
also is not neutered.

On last Sunday my cousins drove down to bring “Duke” home ...............
his registered name is Sunflower’s Prodigal Son  .... they renamed him
“Luke” ........... now I have a slight hope of getting my old bloodline
back ............ we plan and hope to breed him to CH. Sunflower’s Pretty In
Pink Frost “Molly” she is a daughter of our black male CH. Hausmekon’s
Flag of Honor. “Molly” is due in season in 6 months or so.

But we have a problem “Luke” hates cats to the point where I believe he
would kill them given a chance, thank goodness my cousin Debbie had him under
control when he
saw the cat and made a very quick dive for it,  when brought in from outside he
headed straight for the door where he saw the cat.
There is a possibility that he might have killed cats to survive, we can’t be
sure of course.

Both of us have cats as well as the GSD, over the years I have only had one cat
killer and once I found that out and for 10 years I never had another cat.

My question for everyone is have you ever had a cat killer and have you ever
trained it to be safe around them, I don't need Luke to love the cats I just
need control when he sees them ..... I just got my first show kitten a Siberian
Forest Cat ... poor Luke has already been through so much especially for a
senior dog.

I hope someone has good news that there is a way to at least calm the behavior
down when he sees a cat ... we are very willing to work with him.

We do not have kennel runs, all all GSD and cats share our homes.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Take care,
Lonna

Lonna Fisher
Sunflower Reg'd GSD