[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Another sad story.....

  • From: LARRY D BUTLER <bld4@xxxxx>
  • To: <rockylizard@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <dogsrluv@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:14:11 +0000

    Great post Liz.  It sometimes seems that our beautiful breed has many
problems that make it unfair for a "novice" person.  I do tons of research,
feed quality food twice a day, and am very careful about exercise after eating.
 I have had three dogs bloat in four years.  The German dog never laid down and
I expected for her to have problems.  She was 6 and 1/2 when she died.  The
other two were not nervous dogs and knew how to relax.  DM also takes too many
before their time.  I personally think that our breed should live beyond 7 and
8 years of age.  I've had shepherds a lot of years and have only had three make
it past 12.  That's sad.
     I don't begin to know what that vet was thinking, but he should not be
allowed to put that puppy to sleep without knowing that what he did was wrong!
I saw that puppy the morning he left here and he was so full of life and
beautiful.  I can't even imagine what Connie is going through right now knowing
that a puppy she raised is dead.

Kathy
showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Another sad story.....>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:48:47 -0600> > Alright...<sigh> I am not going to
argue with you, so this will be my last > attempt at an explanation, but this
is where I'm coming from.> > You said, "Many pups can get a bit soft at that
age." Very true, obviously, > since that particular issue was what began this
entire thread. The > questions I have are 1) WHY, and 2) WHAT can we do about
it? Or is that > simply okay?> > You said "These dogs should not have Dobie
pasterns." You're absolutely > correct, they should not. According to the
Standard posted on the GDSDCA > website, the pasterns should be at 24 degrees.
That is not 45 degrees, or > even softer. That is also not straight-up-and-down
pasterns, like a Dobe. > I challenge you to go to GSD Reviewed, also on the
GDSCA website, with a > protractor (don't just eyeball it) and actually
*measure* pastern angle. > How many current and recent big winning dogs do you
see with 24 degree > pasterns? I don't see very many, if any, myself. I haven't
looked at every > single one though, so I may have missed a few. If you find
some, please do > let me know, I'd be very, very happy to have to eat my
words.> > Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm also hearing you say is
that > strong pasterns and correct pasterns are mutually exclusive. It seems to
me > that you are suggesting that they are either Dobe pasterns, or they can be
> soft. There's no correct, 24 degree, strong pastern in this equation? If >
there isn't, why not??> > I certainly don't advocate putting down pups with
soft pasterns, or > eggbeater rears, or lofty fronts. I'm simply proposing that
we, as > breeders, do our best to breed AWAY from those problems, so we don't
HAVE to > explain to Joe Schmoe why our dog "looks like that."> > Go ahead and
flame away. Honestly, I'm so jaded and frustrated at the > problems I've had
personally with GSDs, and seen with my friends' GSDs, that > I don't even care
anymore.> > Liz in Utah> > > ----- Original Message ----- > From:
<DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx>> To: <RockyLizard@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>; >
<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:07 PM> Subject: [
SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Another sad story.....> > > >> > In a message dated 3/13/2008
4:23:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,> > RockyLizard@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:> > Did
anyone ever consider the idea of breeding for strong pasterns, so we> >
eliminate this problem from our breed? Then we won't have to come up > > with>
> explanations for these problems.> >> > Liz in Utah> >> >> >> > This is a
completely unfair statement. Many pups can get a bit soft at > > that> >
age..... doesn't mean they are down on their pasterns or even have bad> >
pasterns, or should be put down! Some vets are just stupid. I went to a > > new
vet> > one time with a 4 1/2 month old puppy that had lovely bone and nice > >
pasterns.> > This vet went nuts about the subluxed pasterns on this puppy. I
tried to> > educate her on German Shepherd's and their 25 degree pasterns but
she > > would> > not listen. He also had a slight overbite and she made a big
deal over > > that> > also.> >> > At that point I was not nice to her because I
explained had I been a pet> > person looking for advise I would be really upset
by someone who > > obviousely did> > not know the breed....> >> > These dogs
should not have Dobie pasterns and some vets are just not happy> > unless they
do....So unless you want to change the pasterns in the > > standard to> > say
straight then I would be carefull how you critizise .> >> > JMO...> >> > Deb>
Money &> > Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)> >> >>
> ============================================================================>
> POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the > >
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or > > FORWARDS
of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the > > original author
AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.> >> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON
NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY > > MANNER OF ANY
MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS > > PERMISSION OF ALL
PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY > > FORBIDDEN, AND IS
A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL > > BE PROSECUTED.> >> >
For assistance, please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> >> >
VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org> >

List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> > VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org>